Wednesday, September 13, 2023

I Guess My iPhone Is Different

 Since the recent opening round of the Google anti-trust trial, I have heard numerous interviews and discussions about what it is the Google is being tried for.

Those have usually included a component discussing how Google works on an iPhone.

There have seemed to be two versions.

Either you "open your iPhone" (I never open mine because I don't know what that means) and you are beset with an aggressive, unavoidable Google search dialog, or you "open your iPhone and go to Safari" where you are beset by an aggressive, unavoidable Google search dialog.

Safari is such a down level browser that I almost never use it, and when I have I have never had a Google encounter.

Apparently I have an odd iPhone.

Mine has several touch-slidable pages of icons that are the access points for various apps I have accumulated over the years, many of whose function I have long forgotten.

One of those icons is for Google.

It's on the first of those pages.

It's on the first page because, on my phone I almost always use Google.

Another of those icons is for Bing.

It's on the last of those pages.

It is on the last page because on my phone I almost never use Bing.

I could move the Bing icon to the first page if I wanted but that is more trouble than I want to engage to get something I rarely use on the first page; all the icons on page one are there because I use their apps all the time, and there is no spare real estate for a search function that I don't use on my phone.

That's a choice I have made.

I am unaware of being Googleized by one or more heinous and secret contracts.

It's just the way I do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment