Friday, April 20, 2018

Jim Crow

This is intended as a coda to my most recent post:

https://noellivefromparis.blogspot.com/2018/04/all-is-wells-that-ends-wells.html

A long time ago, when I was in high school or college – I can’t remember – I found an old Folkways disk at the Multnomah County Library.

The disk was by a guy who I found to have a magical voice, who played a magical guitar and who was, therefore magical.

His name was Josh White.

Here are a few words from the best song on that disk.

“Lincoln set the Negro free

Why is he still in slavery?

Jim Crow.

Freedom for all is what he said

Free to suffer till he’s dead

Jim Crow.”

It goes on.

But I think that is enough.

Jim Crow:

Philadelphia.

Seattle.

Portland.

St. Louis.

Atlanta.

Jefferson City.

Cheyanne

Denver.

Boston.

New York.

New Haven.

ETC.

And we have donnie for president.

So we all know things are going to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment