Monday, March 6, 2023

Judith Heumann: What A homonymnously Appropriate Name

I had never heard of Judy Heumann until a few days ago.

As usual, someone with whom I should have felt to be kindred - if I really believed what I always say I believe, was somebody of whom I had never heard.

And, as usual, I had to question my education; it's coverage of the history of disabled people in America was missing, just like the history of black people in America was missing.

I had never heard of the Tulsa Massacre until 2022 - or maybe 2021; dates and times fade quickly anymore.

I had never heard of Juneteenth until about that same time.

And I had never heard of Judy Heumann until she died.

If I am able to elude the white supreme beguilement of donnie and the ravening hoard - which I THINK I have been able to do - how has that happened?

My education, obviously, hasn't been a contributor to that happy condition.

So, how?

I just don't know.

But I do like this quote from Judy.

“Our anger was a fury sparked by profound injustices. Wrongs that deserved ire. And with that rage we ripped a hole in the status quo.” ― Judith Heumann, Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights.



No comments:

Post a Comment