Sunday, June 18, 2023

Evangelical?

Some of my earliest memories are of conversations with my father.

He talked to me as an equal, even when I was not very old.

That seemed to me to make sense, because, after all, I was an equal.

He was bigger than me, more experienced and had a larger vocabulary than me, but I had thoughts and feelings and ideas that seemed to parallel his.

When we talked.

And we talked surprisingly frequently.

One of the things he said to me a few times related to religion.

Since my father was the first atheist I had ever had occasion to know - who tells his kid that he's an atheist? probably occurs to you - the fact that he had comments on religion sort of dazzled me.

At the time.

Why would an atheist talk about religion?

I said to myself.

Several times.

"I just couldn't get to where the others in the church were getting.

"I kept not seeing the holy ghost crawling int through the windows".

That's what he told me.

Several times.


No comments:

Post a Comment