Friday, June 30, 2023

Thoughts About An Acronym: LGBTQ

I am saying this as an observer, not a participant.

I am neither L, nor G, nor B, nor T, nor Q.

But, I will here assert, I am human.

Which is equally true for all the Ls, Gs, Bs, Ts and Qs.

So maybe a feeling I have, they - that feeling perhaps being shared via the conduit of our common humanity - also have.

That feeling is this.

Reducing a significant, important, productive and constantly persecuted segment of humanity to an acronym - LBGTQ - is pretty much as bad a thing as the horrors eternally borne by that community. 

 And the barrage of sympathetic and supportive stories that one constantly hears just after "LGBTQ" has rolled off the news reader's tongue, only underscore how these kindred human beings have been acronymized into a generalized "news product", not specific, each in its own time, each at its own pace, each with its own rhythm, empathy and pathos, human stories.

How facile.

How Mad Men.

How compactly American.

I guess I have just been guilty of doing it myself, even as I decry it.

How sadly expectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment