Saturday, December 3, 2022

Tacos Japanese Style

 Back in 2017 I posted a about my ZIP Code - at the time the most diverse in America.

I guess I felt the urge to say what I said in that post because of the recent election of klansman trump to the presidency.

Everything that I have ever believed about America was in that post: her exciting prospects, her first ever in human history prospects for a multi-everything, diverse democracy, the great amalgamation. 

The election of a psychotic racist as our president had brought me up short.

And, in the face of that horror, I had needed to lay out my feelings in that post.

Last night, having just returned from a month in Paris, I began to get hungry.

On the way home from the airport I had bought the makings for any kind of Mexican food that might occur to me to be on the menu.

After a month of great French cuisine, I was ready for some real 'Merican food.

So I had corn tortillas.

Therefore, when I began to have a strong craving for tacos, I put some cooking oil in my favorite cast iron skillet, turned on the gas and reached in the drawer for a pair of Evenflo tongs dating back to the dawn of my adult life.

Over the years,those tongs had turned out to be more useful in making tacos shells than feeding infants.

Infants grow up and move on; tacos stay the course.

To my chagrin and dismay, the tongs were nowhere to be found.

I guessed they were on Lopez.

The oil was up to temperature, and I really wanted tacos for dinner.

How was I going to make taco shells with no implement?

Plyers?

A fork?

Aha, I heard myself say to no one in particular.

 Chop sticks.

And they worked swimmingly.

I couldn't help but concatenate that little culinary episode with the blog post referenced, above: Mexican food made using a Japanese implement in the Amalgamated States of America.

How appropriate.



No comments:

Post a Comment