Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Seriously Though

[Dr. Emmett Brown is doubting Marty McFly's story about that he is from the future]

Dr. Emmett Brown: Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 1985?

Marty McFly: Ronald Reagan.

Dr. Emmett Brown: Ronald Reagan? The actor?

[chuckles in disbelief]

Dr. Emmett Brown: Then who's vice president? Jerry Lewis?

[rushing out and down a hill toward his laboratory]

Dr. Emmett Brown: I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!

Marty McFly: [following Doc] Whoa. Wait, Doc!

Dr. Emmett Brown: And Jack Benny is secretary of the treasury.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/quotes

 

****************************************

This was outrageously funny and pretty oblique humor at the time, back in 1985.

At least it was funny to me.

And I thought it was pretty oblique.

At the time.

And has been ever since.

Until today.

I was at the super market eating a couple fried chicken thighs for lunch.

Lopez Village Market makes really good fried chicken.

A friend of mine who was buying stuff from the deli counter saw me she and came over.

She said “have you heard trump’s latest?”

I hadn’t.

“He says that his battle with venereal disease has been his personal Vietnam.”

I spent a year in Vietnam (see http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu.com/shop/noel-mckeehan/saigon-1967-shadow-and-memory/ebook/product-21059394.html for more about that).

So I have some sort of a frame of reference about what might constitute a personal Vietnam, and I couldn’t make the link made by Trump.

But then the cave full of bats that masquerades for the Trump mind could, I guess, make an equation out of anything.

As I pondered that my friend said “and also he says he has pretty much had a full military career because he went to military school”.

The conversation took the inevitable veer toward absurdity at that point.

We took turns projecting increasingly outrageous pre-facts about the Trump presidency.

And our laughter increased with each exchange.

People were moving away from our immediate vicinity.

When we got to the part about Trump dumping his wife and marrying Kim Kardashian my friend became Emmet Brown and I became Marty McFly.

And I quit my uproarious laughing.

I guess Sarah Palin finally gets to be Vice President.

And Katelin Jenner Secretary of State. 

She has travelled a lot I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment