Saturday, July 8, 2023

Jason Isbel Inspired This Saigon Poem

 Jason Isbel said it

He said it on TV

“On a mother’s hip” he drawled

I remembered what that meant to me

The first time I ever saw it

On the streets of Saigon

Not far from the vestige of the lake

That was there when the rains were on

There ad infinitum

Or so to me it seemed

For days and weeks and then some

Until it dried away

And the nasty creatures in it

Had had burrowed in the clay

Of the bottom of that field

That field that was a flood

Sometimes never always

The creatures in the mud

But the hip was ahead

And so may be dead

In Saigon that dread

Of the creatures in the mud

Didn’t stop me

From walking

Ahead

She was really young

Hard to say exactly

The child clung to her hip

I thought about abstractly


No comments:

Post a Comment