Wednesday, September 6, 2023

You Never Know ...


 I asked Bing a few moments ago:

Please find a blog post by Noel McKeehan about TSMC.

Bing went looking and came back:

I found a blog post by Yujun Li, Director of High Performance Computing Business Development at TSMC, titled “The Future is Now” 1. Unfortunately, I could not find any blog post by Noel McKeehan about TSMC in my search results

To which I responded:

Try about semi conductor fabrication by Noel McKeehan.

So Bing said:

I apologize for the confusion earlier. I could not find any blog post by Noel McKeehan about TSMC in my search results. However, I found a company called NOEL Technologies that provides semiconductor fabrication services 1. Unfortunately, I could not find any information about Noel McKeehan’s involvement with NOEL Technologies.

Would you like me to look for something else?

I quit asking,

I had found way more than I had expected.

TSMC is in Taiwan.

It fabricates 40% of the world's semiconductor products, including most of the most strategically sensitive massively sophisticated ones.

Given the likelihood of China taking over Taiwan, that is a fact that bodes ill for the United States and most of the rest of the world.

There is some fabrication capability in the US.

I think Intel does most or all of its own fabrication, and they do it in the US.

Samsung has a couple of minor fabs in the US.

I think there are a few more.

But most of the world's supply from trivial to crucial comes from Taiwan, and most of that is from TSMC.

So finding that I have a namesake fab in Silicon Valley seemed to be some sort of omen.

I know not what.

No comments:

Post a Comment