Wednesday, September 20, 2023

All The Way From Mars

 


Ingenuity is the name of the little helicopter we sent on last year's trip to Mars.

It was an experiment to see if a helicopter-like device could elevate and transverse in Mars' thin atmosphere.

Best case it was expected to limp through that atmosphere briefly and once.

To everyone's surprise, it has been doing it every now and then ever since; it has elevated and traversed more than fifty times so far.

Here is a recent image it sent back - I guess its on-board camera has some kind of an arm that allows it to take pictures of itself.

When I saw this image, I had the same reaction as I had when I saw the first ever picture sent back from Mars in the 70s: "that looks like Eastern Oregon".

I used Photoshop to remove the orange haze native to Mars, so it looks a little more familiar than it really is, but a rock is a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment