Tuesday, May 10, 2022

A Random Email To A Friend Of Joe's

 I go to Manchester every now and then, so it should be possible.  I was a manager for IBM in Jefferson City from 1981 - 1983 and spent some time in Springfield.  What a great town. And there was a restaurant outside of the city - Joe remembers the name - that had the best frog legs I have ever had; I think it is out of business now.  Speaking of out of business landmarks, Jefferson City had Nick's Homestead: the best fried chicken in the world.  Veit's in JC had really good boiled (bolled) shrimp and good martinis, as I recall.  We lived halfway to Columbia on a lake.  Joe walked across the lake in winter to meet his friend Chris who was kitty corner from us on the lake.  I always wondered if Joe was going to hit a soft spot; I guess he didn't.  Chris died a while back in a mysterious fire. We caught a lot of bluegills in that lake; and skied a lot of water.  Missouri is a favorite stop that I have had in my wanderings.  Too bad it's so bought in to hate driven politics.

We live mostly these days on Lopez Island, a member of the American San Juan's; we are closer to Canada than we are to the United States, which is strangely comforting.

The Goldfinches have returned, en masse, so I guess the world is more OK than it would appear to be.

I realize that the other bird in the first image is a pine siskin.






No comments:

Post a Comment