Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Out Of The Corner Of My Eye

 When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse

Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look, but it was gone

I cannot put my finger on it now

The child is grown, the dream is gone

I have become comfortably numb

Pink Floyd: The Wall

In the last few days, I have been seeing things out of the corner of my eye.

There is movement.

There is bulk.

There is color: dark slate.

I turn to look but it is gone.

Or maybe never was.

But I know I saw it, out of the corner of my eye.

So, what might it be? I heard somebody say.

I not only thought I saw it, out of my eye's corner, but I briefly felt I recognized it, each time I saw it.

But that recognition has been fleeting, out of the corner of my brain; or out of the corner of my conscious.

But I think that it is a version of the shadow that my mother used to see imminently prior to life changing events.

Like Annie's death.

So, what is imminent?

The pressure cooker that is America, described by me recently in another post, comes to mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment