Friday, January 6, 2023

Nice Fish

 


The picture was at Thompson Valley Reservoir.  

I don't know how Jack and I discovered it, but we did. 

It was supposed to be a great and under fished fishing lake.  

And the dead trees sticking up all over it all had osprey nests.  (Fish Eagles.  Must mean fish.)

So we thought.

I don't remember if we caught any more than the one in the picture.

Probably not.

If we had there would have been more pictures.

One would think. 

The reservoir was just on the east side of the central spine of Oregon - as I recall it - and in the southern quadrant.  

I guess it also was famous for waterfowl hunting because several years later Doug and I went over there for duck hunting.  

The reservoir was dry.  

We weren't. 

We went to whatever the adjacent little town was and drank a lot. 

We had planned the trip to be several days in duration, and the weather was superb, and our camp site was sublime, so we just replaced shooting with driving to town and drinking every day.

It was a quaint tavern. 

On one of our return trips from drinking to camping we must have both fallen asleep - Doug was driving. 

We both woke up abruptly as we hurtled backwards off the raised roadbed onto the desert floor.  

As it turned out nobody and nothing were harmed, so we drove down the desert to where we could get back on the road and went back to camp.  

I had found a large outburst of shaggy mane mushrooms, so we had a nice side dish to whatever it was we must have cooked and eaten. 

Unfortunately, I have a lot more stories like this accumulated over the first forty years of my life.








No comments:

Post a Comment