Friday, December 14, 2012

It’s All in How One Looks at it – I Guess

A friend of mine sent me this email:

“Why would the NRA say anything about this?  They have nothing to do with this type incident.  Your right, it will happen again and again until right from wrong is taught at an early age and continued to be taught.  More gun control laws will continue to be laws that cannot be enforced like so many other laws already on the books.  Prohibition sure worked for alcohol control!  It did make a lot of people very rich however.  All of our drug laws are working really well too.  You cannot legislate morality.”

I fired back:

You can effect morality with laws – fumer par example. 

But this has nothing to do with morality.

It has to do with an inventory of 250 million (or more) and growing, of firearms in America over which most nobody has any real control. 

The government has some control over you and me – people who are apparently sane, and apparently law abiding, and who abide by the gun control laws that exist -  but the government has no control over the people who keep committing these horrendous acts. 

If the government did, these horrendous acts would cease. 

But they don’t; they just keep happening.  (I finally turned off all outside input – iPhone KUOW app, CNN TV/Orange connection, when I kept hearing that the good news was that these kinds of things don’t happen very often.)

With almost as many guns as we have people there is no way to control the problem. 

Even if I were in favor of a law to call the guns all in and melt them down – which I am not - it wouldn’t accomplish anything. 

The genie has been out of the bottle for a number of years and we are all going to have to get used to living in a war zone. 

I did that once; I survived a year in Saigon. 

I can do that again. 

In fact, I have done that again; that is the point to my exhumation of an old 2010 blog post.

http://noellivefromparis.blogspot.fr/2012/12/you-are-safe-how-nice.html

 

 

I just don’t give a fuck – shoot me down or try to; let’s see who wins. 

The problem is at least partly exacerbated by the hate that is vended by the republican party and their asshole buddies, the tea party.

No comments:

Post a Comment