Friday, May 10, 2019

Key Me

This is an email I sent thanking a Key Me employee for sending me a a code to get a free key.

I have no idea whether this is a new idea or just new to me and the world is covered with key making kiosks that I have never noticed.

But I was pretty impressed.

And I have two new keys.

Here is what I said:

“Thanks.  I probably won’t use it – not any time soon, anyway, but thanks.

Your company is interesting – and unusual – because it is offering a service that is so obvious that one wonders why it hasn’t been done before, and a service that would appear to be so difficult to render that the reason for nobody doing it seems to be as obvious as the need for it.

You guys have actually got something that works: I saw the sign at Safeway a couple of times back and decided I would find out what it really meant.

I finally remembered that I wanted to find out on my most recent visit and went looking for the person who would make the keys.

I was really surprised to find a machine that looks like a Coin Star kiosk.

And the user interface was pretty much like Amazon.

And it really can read the shape of the key.

And the keys – that look like a butter knife (no definable teeth) really work.

I am probably pretty easily entertained, but I think that you guys prove again that Americans can do really odd, but really useful things.

I never would have thought that digital technology threatened the bread and butter business of the locksmith industry.

But it does.”

No comments:

Post a Comment