Monday, February 7, 2022

The Feel Of The Wind

 I don't know why.

I don't know why this has happened.

I haven't waterskied for at least 35 years.

Hell, I haven't owned a boat for at least 25 years.

But just now that old feeling hit me.

That old feeling was the one that came into my head every time, when for the first time in a given year, the weather having warmed, I came up out of the water on that O'Brien ski and slammed across the wake of the boat for the first time. 

It was a feeling of genuine ecstasy: "I'm flying again; the wind is crashing into my face again; I thought last fall was the last time; but it wasn't' I have come up for yet another season".

Those were the days.

But that was then and now is now.

Now every morning, after I manage to unfold from bed and arise to a posture somewhat like vertical, and after I stand for a moment and tell myself that the back pain will attenuate after a time of semi-vertical posture, I find myself saying, after the wind of the day has begun to fly in my face " I love the feel of the wind; there is no point in giving up, as long as the wind is in my face".

But that's probably hyper optimistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment