Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Waiting For Sidney

 I recently had a question.

Better than "question" it could be described as a quandary of entry level understanding entangled with a desire to go beyond entry level but with limited means of describing what subsequent information is desired.

I had just formulated a question out of the quandary and realized that my search engine of choice had no way to answer it; I could barely compose it.

Then I listened to a New York Times podcast: Search Wars Just Got Scary.

Listening to it explains the title of this post and its final sentence.

"I actually wondered why Nova was using photons at all, because, as I understand it, photons are particles of light, light also being a wave; and, I am unsure of what a wave really is - I think it is something like a vibration, maybe, and that it waves/vibrates through something, some of the somethings in the case of light being beyond my current level of physics comprehension, and that if that is anywhere near an accurate description of light, and if one accepts the apparently accepted fact that light is the only wave that is also a particle, or has particles, or oscillates between being a wave and being a particle, that raises the question: is light like, but totally different from an atom, atoms having particles and all?  But I couldn't figure out how to pose that question to Bing. Because my version of Bing doesn't have any AI assistance such a kludge of a question would probably not produce rational results anyway; maybe when I get that version of Bing with AI, I can just refer it to this blog post and maybe Sidney, Bing's sidekick will get back to me with an answer - or ask me to run off to the Bahamas with it, if one believes the New York Times."



No comments:

Post a Comment