Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Dopesick

 I just finished this one season re-telling of the criminal saga of the Sacklers.

I take a number of thoughts, questions and reactions from the tale.

Paramount among them is intense anger that a band of drug lords who, it would appear, have the distinction of having the highest number of names of dope-dead people of any drug cartel in history attached to their name, has been allowed to keep a large portion of their recent and drug-gotten gains, and allowed to spend what is arguably a gift-from-some-perverse-god surplus on being held harmless from the law.

That's pretty negative.

But, for me, there is also a huge positive.

The Series's  intensely personal and beautiful depiction of the people of Appalachia who were the initial target for the Sacklers has allowed me to remember at a gut level something donnie teased me into forgetting: we are all Americans, and not very different, and all in this mess together.




No comments:

Post a Comment