Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Musings

 I recently had an exchange with a fraternity brother who said that he reads my blog occasionally and, while being a fiscal conservative, he tends to share my "social" viewpoints.

I have at base, always been some sort of social radical.

Before I was a teen, I had concluded that a coffee-colored America was not only inevitable, but it was also going to be our gift to the world.

In recent years, my son, who shares my viewpoint to some extent, or at least understands it, has played back to me his memory of myriad conversations we had when he was young on that exact viewpoint; I have no memory of them; but I am glad that they, apparently, occurred, and that they, apparently, had some influence on the next generation.

Fiscal conservatism makes a lot of sense to me if any dialog about it and any subsequent policy resulting from that dialog were to begin with a "stop the clock and recognize the damage done humanity-to-date, and more particularly, America-to-date, under the banner of 'wealth and power for the fewest of us'".

The reason I say that is that unless somebody, sometime says, "OK let's stop and look at this thing, History-to-date" we are always going to have, at best, acknowledgment of horrible, criminal accumulation of power and wealth into the hands of the fewest of each generation in human history, and - at in best, as we have in our country today - the dribble of resources to most of us, that dribble being just enough that we, the beneficiaries of the dribble, fear pulling the whole fucking thing down around all of our ears.

If the clock of historic inequity were ever put on hold and a real catchup program were ever devised and implemented, and if that program ever worked and created something like some level of equality in the human race, and its non-human fellows, I would immediately be a fiscal conservative. 

That's only rational.

But the whole tawdry game needs to be fixed first.



No comments:

Post a Comment