Monday, May 1, 2023

The Singing Robot

While I was writing yesterday's post "What If The Bot Sings With Its Own Voice?" I kept thinking about a Lewis Padgett story - one of my favorite science fiction stories.

Lewis Padgett was the joint pseudonym of the science fiction authors and spouses Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore.

The story is The Proud Robot.

Gallegher, a brilliant and hopelessly alcoholic inventor/amateur scientist wakes up from a deeply drunken bender to find that he has a new companion: a narcissistic robot that likes to sing.

It sings really badly.

Gallegher does everything he can think of to make it stop singing, take some sort of control of it, or at least, ascertain its function.

The robot foils him on all counts.

Good story.

It ultimately is revealed that the robot is a beer can opener.

Once defrocked the robot becomes quite docile.

I couldn't help but remember that story while I was writing yesterday's post.





No comments:

Post a Comment