Friday, April 23, 2021

An Assertion Hanging In The Air In West Virginia

 I had a dream.

I was out running on a country road.

A back country highway, it was. 

Beautiful day - no clouds, thrushes singing and answering, the smell of cow manure wafting up from the manure streak down the middle of the road, a slight breeze mixing the manure with a flowery scent.

I think I heard John Denver singing.

"West Virginia, mountain mama..."

That lyric wafted across the beautiful green mountains, most of them truncated and surrounded by heaps of slag.

"Welcome to West Virginia" I heard someone say; then the someone cleared his (it was a man, of course) throat.

It wasn't John Denver this time, but this one was also singing; he sounded like Jimmy Buffet.

"Yonder stands Joe Manchin

"With a dram glass in his hand

"He pretends that he's a Democrat

"But that's not what he am".

Then there was another voice; this time it was a woman.

The woman spoke; she had a West Virginia accent, but it was obvious that it was Dame Judy Dench.

"If we had wanted to have another asshole in the Senate, we would have voted for a republican".

I just kept running.

No comments:

Post a Comment