Monday, April 12, 2021

I Didn't Know It Was A Gun

 As we saw previously, police sometimes use the old saw " I didn't know the gun was loaded".

Sunday we got a new variant: " I didn't know it was a gun".

And since the woman who shot Daunte Wright was shrieking " tazer, tazer, tazer" as she shot her gun at him at point blank, it must be true.

So I guess that's that and we should all move on.

In a perfect world that might be true.

But in an imperfect one, just recently released from the reign of terror of the orange scourge, there are questions that can be heard.

Here are three.

"Why does a guy who has a deodorant dispenser hanging from his rear view mirror warrant being stopped by the police"?

"Once stopped, why does a deodorant dispenser warrant his being tazered? (Cops keep their tazer on the left side, by the way, not on the right; the right side is for their gun; so I guess some sort of time/space warped transmogrification is at fault.)"

And, for sure, one would then ask in final follow on "why did ANY trigger - gun, tazer or cap gun, get pulled"?

******************************************************

When I was quite young I had a fairly traumatic experience.

I pointed my cap pistol at my grandfather.

This uniformly loving and jovial being turned in a flash into a fierce and harsh disciplinarian.

"Don't ever - EVER - point a gun - ANY GUN - or ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A GUN, at ANYTHING, unless you intend to kill it."

Those words ought to be made the starting point of training at all our police academies.

If they were so trained, then all the fear uncertainty and doubt that the police always throw up around their most recent assassination would not be allowed in a court of law, just as they are not allowed in the court of public opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment