Friday, July 8, 2022

So, Where Are Parents These Days?

 The History of the United States is littered with laws that have been catastrophes from a functional, societal point of view.

The 18th Amendment is a great example.

As the sinusoidal shockwaves of 24 June begin to damp down, the recent supreme court decision joins that list: health care in America is fileted asunder; maybe that's what the rabbit wanted; I don't know; how 'bout somebody asks her?

The various anti-CRT (I thought that was a display) laws spreading like staphylococcus through an open wound are definitely of that genre.

I'd like to be able to talk to Madison, or Jefferson, or Lincoln or Harry, or JFK, or RFK about a law forbidding the teaching of things that make some children among the great mass of children out there "feel bad about themselves".

A couple of years ago I heard about Tulsa for the first time in my life.

I felt REALLY BAD.

I felt that way for two reasons, the evil of the deed, but, equally, my ignorance, until I was in my final part of life, far beyond any recent education, of ethnic cleansing in America, 

Yeah, I felt bad; the truth is a bitch.

Presumably these laws are predicated upon the assumption that the parents of the hypothetical children being shielded from feeling bad are teaching their children about slavery and racism and Jim Crow and the extension of slavery that is the 13th Amendment.

I hope - for the sake of our country - that that assumption is true, that today's white parents talk to their children, in lieu of having the schools do it (somebody has to do it, after all and the fascist legislatures of an alarming number of states don't want anybody to do it) about what has been wrong about America since inception.

There has been and is an immense amount that is right about America; but not all; maybe not even half; until we look at, admit and, set out to change what is now and always has been wrong about America, we will continue to teeter on the edge of the ashbin of history.

And the fact that the human beings that got to our shores as chattel are still more or less such, in too many cases, says that we have work to do.

And if our children can't even hear the truth because it will make them feel bad, I question if we have a country.

What we have in that instance is a cult of ignorant, uncaring privileged white people in a sea of otherwise. 

And their little children who are all being shielded from feeling bad.

What a citizenry.

Truth is a bitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment