Saturday, June 26, 2021

Colbert Interviews Duvall

 I saw those interviews last night.

Colbert was Colbert and Duvall was Duvall: in short, it was wonderful.

I learned something from the interview also.

I have always mixed Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall in the same actors' stew; I couldn't imagine that they didn't know each other and that they were not friends; it turns out that I was right.

Duvall made an allusion to the fact that the three of them are character actors.

Seventy years ago that would have meant that they were not beautiful leading men mouthing inane meaninglessness to beautiful leading women.

I know that Duvall, Hoffman and Hackman have all won academy awards, so I looked those statistics up.

Robert Duvall: one win out of seven nominations.

Dustin Hoffman: two wins out of seven nominations.

Gene Hackman: two wins out of five nominations - and anybody who knows anything can't figure out why he didn't get nominated, and win, for Hoosiers.

That's a pretty good score sheet for character actors.

I really like the post leading man era.

No comments:

Post a Comment