Thursday, June 24, 2021

Critical Race Theory

 This post hasn't anything to do with CRT.

But it was induced by the never ending republican attacks on how would we dare to think that 246 years of being property, and 156 years of serfdom for our black fellow citizens could be OK.

The republicans are on the attack.

They fluff up all sorts of racist reasons for their ardor for racism,

The chairman of the joint chiefs of staff took on the most stupid of them recently.

republican matt gaetz.

That felt good to me.

But I never heard of the Tulsa Massacre until a year or two ago.

And I never knew what really happened after the Civil War until I read Chernow's Grant.

I never realized that re-construction under Grant induced a 156 year long insurgency that has had various names: Jim Crow; White Supremacy; States Rights, to name a few.

I never heard anything about Harriet Tubman.

In grade school - Madeleine Catholic in Portland Oregon - we learned to sing Dixie.

And one year the nun who taught us defended the lack of black children among us by saying that "black children would be so welcome: they have such a sense of rhythm and music".

As it turned out, I majored in History at Portland State College - now University.

But, either I was asleep when America's race replete history of mayhem, meanness and malfeisance was discussed, or it wasn't discussed.

I was pretty surprised that I wanted to major in History after the gradeschool and high school versions had flowed under my bridge of life.

But Doctor Cox, Doctor Carbone, Mr. Frazier, Doctor Le Guin and others made History a magic and beguiling story.

But they never told me about Tulsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment