Later in the summer I was moved again to another crew.
The crew chief was Nick.
Our mutual worst nightmares had been realized.
The difference was that by this time I knew what I was doing.
The first thing that happened after getting out of the crummy was a virtual replay of the first moments of my first day.
The difference was I knew enough that even Nick’s mumbling couldn’t keep me from knowing what he wanted me to do.
So I set off – again it was “go over to that hill…” - to do it.
I was supposed to go to the hill, find a place where Nick could get a clear shot and pound a hub in the ground.
Once that was done I was supposed to put a “tack” (a specialized tack with a robust pointed staff and a bulbous head with a dimple in it; the dimple was to establish the center of the tack) in the hub.
Then I was supposed to put a “target” (a two by two piece of thick paper with a four quadrant red and white checkerboard printed on it) on my plum bob string (a heavy piece of bronze shaped like a rocket nose cone suspended by a heavy-duty piece of twine).
Then I was supposed to center the plum bob on the tack so Nick could shoot an angle.
I did all that, and did it fairly quickly, cleanly and efficiently.
I was going to show Nick.
As I was giving him the shot, he started yelling something.
And his tone was really unpleasant.
I could hear him, but I couldn’t understand him.
Nick could mumble really loudly.
Something just snapped.
I dropped the plum bob, came off the hill and started walking rapidly, and yelling as I walked, toward Nick's hill.
When I reached the bottom of the rise that Nick occupied, I stopped, looked up at him, shook my fist and said, “you son of a bitch, what do you want.
Why don’t you learn to talk?
I can’t understand a thing you are saying.”
Then I continued up the rise, not to be cowed, to Nick, fully expecting to be fired.
Instead, he said calmly and clearly “please put the target a little higher on the string.”
I went back to the hill, picked up my plum bob, put the target higher on the string, and Nick got his shot.
We became really good friends from that moment.
I never would have guessed what I had needed to do.
Anger sometimes shows the way where reason is at a complete loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment