My last duty station with IBM was Spokane.
From my point of view, it was second only to where I started: Portland.
My office looked out on the Spokane River.
The Spokane, there in the middle of Spokane, is a quite large river as it crashes on down to the Columbia.
My view included The Falls.
Spokane Falls.
Watching the salmon jump, and jump, and jump, and, finally, get over is something that I will eternally savor.
In reverie.
We lived on the South Hill.
South Hill is a massive outcrop of CORIBA - Columbia River Basalt.
We lived on its edge overlooking the city.
One time a wildfire started due south of us about ten miles away.
We lived in an ancient pine forest on the edge of a cliff replete with ancient pine forest.
I was concerned.
Ancient pines lined an axis from the fire directly to us, at the edge of the cliff.
As it turned out, the fire petered out, or was controlled, or burned down part of Spokane.
I can't remember.
But what I am seeing today brings back the fear.
And eternally unites me with the people with whom I once shared one of the most beautiful places on earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment