I wrote a post in December 0f 2017 that stated my belief in America and in its purpose and in its destiny.
Today I could not feel more certain of the truth of what I said.
Then.
One of the reasons I wrote it was because my son had recently been reminding me of what I used to talk to him about when we were bachelors together in a house, on a lake, in the woods, outside of Jefferson City Missouri.
"You used to sing Josh White Senior's Jim Crow; you used to tell me that America's present and future and destiny was amalgamation of the people; you used to tell me to be suspicious of all statements that began with 'god says'; you told me to love that country, that amalgam, that America".
He and I lived that life - he was 15 and I was 38 - in the early 1980s.
Now in the 2020s we have donnie and his secretary of hate, Stephen Miller.
Here is what was on my mind at the very beginning of our current era of sadism, hate and brutality.
98118 Is The Future Of America
That’s my ZIP.
It’s the most diverse ZIP in the United States.
The grocery I go to, and have gone to, for the entire thirty some years that I have lived in 98118 is a Safeway.
It was, the first day I ever went there, and is still today, a joyous place to go buy a cucumber, salmon steak or package of Canadian bacon – or anything else – like flour or corn tortillas, brown rice, white rice, sour cream, Pomi tomatoes, cumin ground, cumin seeds, curry powder, chitterlings, lard, collard greens, cabbage, broccoli, shallots, garlic, mushrooms or whatever – that a normal American might need to buy for the larder.
It was on that first day a new experience of a sort (although I have lived in Japan, Vietnam and France for extended periods, so languages I either don’t speak or which I am not fluent in was not the “new” part of this new experience) happened to me: my brain was flooded with multiple languages coming from the mass of my fellow shoppers.
“This is great” I said to myself.
And I still do.
Because it has only gotten better in the thirty some years.
There probably are even more languages than twenty years ago, although I’m not linguist enough to be sure.
But what I am sure of is that these are my fellow citizens, or they should be if we didn’t have “prejudices” masquerading as “laws”.
What I am sure of is that they love their kids – I see their kids a lot, because they bring them to Safeway to shop with them.
What I am sure of is that I am proud to be a citizen of a country that has been the sort of world-wide magnet for the ambitious, the talented, the gutsy (a lot of them risked their lives to get here), the “I want to be free and America is the last best hope for freedom place on earth” sort of people.
In spite of those certainties the downer is that I have to keep being brought back to reality after I leave my Safeway.
I come home to NPR or PBS.
I don’t watch or listen to the corporate news interpreters.
And when I get home I keep coming back to the disheartening reality that there is a hate-ridden, ignorant, probably flatulent, obese, orange hulk of an excuse for a leader of the United States of America in the White House shrieking about how we need to have vast numbers more of coal miners and vast numbers less of those that I consider as my fellow citizens when I go to my 98118 Safeway.
If that orange hulk is really America, our days are numbered, because the future is 98118.
you realize, i hope, that the life you chose to teach me about long before Champetra was started in Portland on 19th st (ave?). In my 30s i realized that was a mostly puerto rican neighborhood. Lots of loud women on the front porches yelling at each other and their kids during the week - the husbands and brothers and uncles on the weekends. My first grade class picture - i am the white minority with a black principal. The next year, Catholic school, had zero non white kids - again did not realize this until later in life.
ReplyDeleteTo me, people are people without distinction unless that distinction to be pointed out is something good, something to celebrate, something to experience with empathetic reverence.