Saturday, January 6, 2018

John Young: Hero Of Heroes

In 1981 I was standing on the unfinished first floor of what was to be a two floor house looking out on Lake Champetra.

I was listening on a battery powered radio/8 track player as the news link I had tuned in was documenting the first space shuttle take off.

John Young was in command.

Even though I couldn’t see what was happening, I was able to visualize what was happening due to the magic of radio (remember those Stan Freeburg ads?).

The liftoff went as planned.

I wasn't surprised.

Too bad humanity came back to earth after all our unbelievable success – all the lunar landings and all the other  near space travel, including the construction of a huge space station -  and decided that grubbing for coal, rather than reaching for the stars, was our true and proper destiny.

God speed John.

No comments:

Post a Comment