Monday, January 15, 2018

What Could I Possibly Have Been Thinking?

In a recent post about donnie’s “shithole” remarks I – in one of my trademarked regressions from the point that I seem to be trying to make – said

“diverse as those of us in that white world demographic actually are, we are uniformly cursed with the label "white".

I actually meant that.

It wasn’t some sort of half baked attempt to make a half baked point in support of a half baked main thesis.

I used it because I believe it and  believe that the existence of it, if understood and acknowledged, would make for greatly more productive human discourse.

But I believe it for substantially more personal reasons.

My wife is a quarter Japanese.

That makes my daughter an eighth Japanese.

I have an estranged grandson who is some percent Cherokee.

I have an estranged granddaughter who converted from Christianity to Islam.

There is probably a lot more that is interesting that I don’t know about.

One might wonder why I don’t just drop this sad blog and write a novel.

I do.

Wonder.

But those facts in my narrow little life are the reason why I said “diverse as those of us in that white world demographic actually are, we are uniformly cursed with the label "white".

I’ll bet there a a couple others somewhere such as I.

1 comment: