Saturday, January 30, 2021

Emily In Paris

 I just watched the sixth episode.

I kept expecting it to lose steam and not be as good, if I only kept watching it.

I was wrong; it only got better.

The thing has WKRP, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH and all of those other greats embedded in its ambience.

If I were going to indulge in hackneyed descriptors I would have said DNA rather than ambience.

But whatever word you use to try to dissect it, it is brilliant.

But it also has something nothing I have ever seen has; and it's something with which I am uniquely familiar: trying, hoping, striving and failing to sort of blend in in Paris.

Emily is brilliant at navigating that quandary.

And it and she are beautifully wrapped in the most elegant and richly munificent Paris cinematography that I have ever seen; they even outdo Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris.

It's really fun to find out that you can still be dazzled.

2 comments:

  1. I got your text about the movie. After reading this, we will likely give it a whirl today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In two weeks I’ve watched the whole season (8 episodes) twice. I think it’s Sex and the City, Devil Wears Prada, Crazy Rich Asians all meet in Paris

    ReplyDelete