Thursday, January 14, 2021

I Don't Get It But I Get It

I listened to the House of Representatives' discussion of the Article of Impeachment for donnie the dildo.

Ten Congress Republicans voted to impeach donnie.

I heard their statements in that two hour meeting.

I was particularly impressed by what Jaime Herrera Beutler said.

Was that an homage to FDR?

I don't know; but it made sense to me.

One whose statement I didn't hear, or don't remember, was from Tom Rice of South Carolina.

But I heard him today on NPR.

He sounds like a rational sort.

He voted to impeach because at bottom he has a spirit that can't allow a president to invoke an insurrection.

That's just a bridge too far.

For him.

However:

I was surprised when the interview revealed that he was one of the 147 republicans who voted against certification of the 2020 presidential election.

The interviewer asked him why he had so voted.

His answer was quite straight forward, and I will paraphrase it here: the Constitution gives the power of elections to the legislatures of the various states; the 2020 election, however, was managed by un-elected and/or non legislative elected bureaucrats - secretaries of state come to mind - and there were all sorts of expansions (so he believes) of the electorate granted by various non-show-up-at- the -polls-on-election-day workarounds to accommodate a deadly virus.

Those workarounds are commonly called mail in ballots - and, those mail ins having been allowed by the non legislative parts of the various states' election apparatuses, the Constitution has been violated and there was massive impropriety of allowed votes in the 2020 election.

I have no idea whether there is any merit to that point of view, but it sounded scarily possible.

And, this from a guy who has just put his career on the line - probably has put his career in the dumper.

That brought me up short.

How can this political and cosmic dissonance co-exist in one legislator?

Then I realized.

Tom Rice at the bottom of his soul is an American and can't allow a Mussolini wanna be to stay in power - in any form of the word.

But he is still a republican.

He isn't arguing about the validity of the vote count; he is objecting to the number of voters whose vote are in that count.

Even the best of them envision a world in which the only allowed voters are white men with tightly tethered chattel female servants: that configuration constitutes the only real voters who will be allowed the franchise.

America has moved so far beyond those white men and their chattel that it is sad that we have to put up with the bullshit and the violence of the interim which is inexorably moving to the new world that WILL dawn and IS dawning.

No comments:

Post a Comment